Thursday, July 08, 2010

apricots and still holding on

Very unfortunate, my dear husband has been unwell for the past few days. Symptoms are very close to the much dreaded dengue. Well, he had his platelets count this afternoon, white blood cells are pretty low and that means he is fighting a virus. We are praying that it is a viral attack rather than dengue. The last dengue attack he had, it was horrifying. High fever, rashes, lost of appetite, fatigue, and yes, you name it. The list goes on.

Simultaneously, Ethan is down with some kind of viral fever.

We took his temperature last night and it was a whooping 39! Panicked, we started him on paracetamol. Fever came down, phew. And apparently, Ethan was talking in his sleep the whole of last night. Hubs heard him talking most of the night as he couldn't sleep due to terrible aches and pains. And this morning, he woke up with a deafening scream. I looked out the window, it was still dark. Checked the clock, 5am. Urghhh... I held him close and he was feeling extremely warm. So we gave him another dose of paracetamol. 10 minutes later, he gave this awful look that he was going to throw up. He did. And obviously he felt much better after that and went back to sleep.

Later this morning, he was again having another round of fever. We decided to bring him see the pediatrician. When consulted her, she discovered that his right eardrum was a little red/flushed. And therefore, she concluded that he might be having an ear infection? That was something I never expected... I was expecting to hear something along the lines of.. hand, foot and mouth disease (as both our God children Ethan Zac and Kristen are down with HFM) or even dengue. Nevertheless, we are rather thankful should it be just a mere ear infection. We will confirm this in the coming Saturday because should his fever persists, we will need to draw out some blood for platelets count. Poor boy.

And so, to make sure that he is well hydrated, we kept the fluids going. In the evening after dinner, we gave him half a cup of diluted juice, an hour later half a cup of milk and another half a cup of water. In the midst of that, he was eyeing on my tub of apricots which I happened to be munching on. And he was eagerly asking for them! So I gave him a bite, and he asked for another, and another and soon it was 3 apricots. I was utterly shocked to see him like apricots.. and he calls it, a-pi-cot.

And while I was out hanging dry my washing (the stained sheet compliments of Ethan), I could hear him shouting and screaming in the house. To my surprise, he was prancing and dancing in the house with daddy. Clowns!

Anyway, the lights are out now but he is still pretty much awake in his cot. I'm dead tired but still holding on. I thougtht I should pen this down to remind me that motherhood is not all about laughters, joys, and apricots. It's really testing during times like this. I feel like breaking down but I know i will have to hold on. I trust that the Lord will provide just right and i'm hoping and praying that both hubs and Ethan will get well real soon.

I'm secretly hoping to watch the Spain vs. Germany game later at 2.30am but I'm already half asleep. Looks like I'll have to resort to the 7am news tomorrow morning.

Mannn, I'm loving motherhood.

No comments: